As a new sailor, we know you have a lot of questions! Hopefully this page will serve as a great resource of how to prepare, what to buy / bring, when you need to upgrade a few things, and hopefully some day - when do you need to buy a boat!
First few times:
This is a great opportunity to utilize some items you have already.
• You can wear swim attire under shorts/tee/life jacket. These boats can easily tip over… and easily back up!
• Sunscreen / hat / visor / polarized sunglasses with a strap!
• Closed toe shoes are a must; we suggest Converse “Chucks” or KEEN - something with great grip!
• High winds - you may need gloves, use a pair of old garden gloves. Wear a wind breaker / splash jacket for the fall.
• Cold weather - use some of your running gear, beanie, and wool socks. And yes, we do sail when it’s cold in the winter!
• Leave a change of clothes in your car for after if needed! Bring some snacks & beverages to hang out after!
So, you really like this sailing thing and you want to PARTICIPATE a lot more:
• Invest in a good life jacket ($30-60) or a really nice one from Zhik ($80-120)
• Dinghy Boots: Gill or comparable ($40-80)
• Foul Weather Gear: jackets, pants, more!
• Sailing gloves ($20-40)
• Do you feel confident in skippering a boat? Check our listings and see if anyone in the fleet may have one for sale. Plan on spending about $1000-4000 for a boat, $250 for a trailer. Regular maintenance is about $200/yr.
• Get a membership to US Sailing (PS: Most regattas give you a discount on registration if you are a US Sailing member!)
AGE: Our group has a wide range of participants! Most of the group is about 26-40. We have parents who sail with their kids, and everyone in between 8 years and 70 years!
PHYSICAL ABILITIES: Vanguard 15 boats are pretty small spaces and have the ability to tip. We expect that participants are averagely healthy and have average physical condition with compulsory knowledge of swimming. You are in a small space, so plan to do a lot of squatting, bending, kneeling, and be able to move quickly!
WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE SAILING? It’s a fun, exciting physical activity! Sailing can be as fast and as exciting as you want. It can also be easy-going and relaxing. It can be competitive, if you like. It challenges all your senses. It can also take you to remote magical bays, new friendships, better physical condition, exciting discovering of unknown events, places, people… The choice is yours!